Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My neighbor's house burned to the ground early this morning.

My neighbor's house burned to the ground early this morning.

I awoke at 1:30 A.M. to screams of, "Help! Help!" and "Get out of the house! Get out of the house!" Looking out of my bedroom window, I saw my neighbor's house fully ablaze...

I called 911 and rushed to help...

Fortunately, the parents, their two children and two dogs were able to escape the flaming structure without injury.

I'm posting this to remind everyone to check your smoke detector batteries and fire extinguishers - especially during this holiday season in which lighted decor is employed.

In this case, another neighbor, who was still awake, first noticed the fire and rushed to alert the family, likely saving all of their lives.

In a recent study, conducted by American Survey CO, the causes of house fires across America were as follows:
  • Appliances & Electrical (Stoves, Mircowaves, Toasters, Radiators, Various Heating systems, Small Appliances) - approximately 47% 
  • Gas Leaks - around 5-7% 
  • Open flames (candles, fireplaces) - approximately 32% 
  • Children (there was, and still is, a dramatic decrease in these fires every year) - Around 10% 
  • Spreading of fires from house to house - approximately 3% 
Our local fire department was able to save the neighboring houses, but the one on fire was a total loss within 20 minutes.

Be fire prepared for a safe and happy holiday season.

1 comment: